Monday 24 February 2014

Compass Ring Needle Turn Points

Love Entwined: 1790 Marriage Coverlet BOM

I've opted to needle turn the compass ring points. It's a lot of work, but well worth it. 


I'm using polka dot fabric as my cheat - it means that I always know the circle is correct and is an easy guide, especially with so many to make. It also saves me trying to shape the circles 'blind' and is easy on my eyes as this is time consuming and fiddly work otherwise.


I cut out my dots with the smallest possible margin of fabric which I'll turn under and will also fill the point


I pin the fabric into position and with small, neat stitches and a thin hand sewing needle, I turn the circle as I work around the shape. As you can see, this is not a difficult process. Yes, it's fiddly and time consuming but definitely satisfying too.



Secure at the back


As you work and become accustomed to the scale of the turning you get better and better


I've been working on these points in the early afternoon when I get the best light in my sewing studio. It can't be rushed and I'm patiently working towards getting them all done in their own time. I've started the applique now and return to these points when I'm in the right mood to complete them.

Actually what I've been thinking as I turn these points, is that I think I prefer my original colour scheme of the mustardy gold and teal for the compass. I had made two of these in this colour scheme but they were both too large and put away for cushions. Having put them aside for a short amount of time, looking at them afresh, I love them all over again. I think I like them more than my current option with the red print instead of the teal!

I'm going to put this red version aside and look afresh at it alongside my fabric choices for the rest of the square before decided what, if anything, I'm going to do about my colour indecision.

I feel so undecided about the colour choices in this quilt, I can't seem to settle and be sure. It's so frustrating.

How do you solve colour issues? Do you know what colours you'll use for a quilt or project straight away? Or do you work at it? Once selected do you stick with it...or do you, like me, keep switching and swapping?!


This post is related to my current BOM: Love Entwined 

If you'd like to read more about it, you can do so by visiting the Love Entwined Page at the top of this blog, underneath the header. If you're making the quilt yourself or are enjoying the journey, please leave a comment. If you are making the quilt and would like to share your progress and ideas with other quilters who are also taking part: you can do so by adding a link to specific blog posts. See the Love Entwined Page for more info. 

12 comments:

  1. love your idea of using the polka dots!! I wish I had that idea but my little circles are done

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant idea to use polka dot fabric for the tiny appliqué circles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The polkadot circles are excellent! You may have started a new trend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The polkadot circles are excellent! You may have started a new trend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Esther you started me thinking about colours one chooses, I had forgotten what I started out with my compass but I was so positive with the fabrics I thought I was going to use but LE has a mind of it's own and I do remember I was not happy with my first choice, so I just went back through my photo's and would you believe it took 4 changes on my centre star before I was happy. I was thinking of soft light pinks and maroon but again LE is choosing and has been from the start and I have colours I had not selected. Now I'm letting LE choose as it grows and we are working in harmony LOL. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great tip for those tiny circles. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After seeing that you are using polka dots for your circles, I couldn't help but wonder what they would look like if you would have left a slight border around them - especially the navy background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I certainly can relate to your color confusion with LE. I normally start with a focal fabric and go from there but LE has had a mind of its own. My compass was no problem but my difficulties began with those little medallions between vases. I made several changes and even though my center is finished, I am still not convinced I am completely satisfied. I am hoping the border will be easier. Good luck, I am sure your final choice will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The compass with the red really speaks to me, good catching center unless you plan to use a lot of red in the flower vases. Then I can see why you prefer the teal compass.
    Hard making desisions for color, that is what slows me down.
    (good excuse not? ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The compass with the red really speaks to me, good catching center unless you plan to use a lot of red in the flower vases. Then I can see why you prefer the teal compass.
    Hard making desisions for color, that is what slows me down.
    (good excuse not? ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  11. esther just wondering how your compass was too big ?..I mean what did you do. to make it too big ?..I like the red and the teal .sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I choose my fabric combo good or bad I always continue...because I'm stubborn. I keep thinking it'll turn out fine in the end. Warning! I often have regrets. Usually chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. It's my quilt and I can do what I like, regardless. I don't spend too much time worrying about it because I want it to be fun. A perfectionist like you might possibly never be satisfied. ALL your work is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...